Council of Senior Centers and Services of NYC
Pat will be offering New Senior Center Director's Training on October 3rd, 17th and 24th. Contact CSCS for more information.
Pennsylvania Association Of Senior Centers Annual Conference
Pat will also be presenting at the Pennsylvania Association of Senior Centers Annual Conference in State College, PA on October 22 and 23.
She is facilitating three workshops: Extreme Makeover: Aging Programs are Not What They Used to Be, 99 Ways to Fund and Friend Raise, and the How To’s of Developing a Fund Raising Plan.
Do you value cultural competencies in your organization? Do you understand the unique needs of the people that you serve? Some things to think about:
• Demographic information on countries of origin
• Ethnic groups and religions observed
• Languages and communication style
• Literacy and education
• Food and eating habits
• Dress and appearance
• Holidays and festivals observed
• Values and norms
• Sense of space
• Differing health practices, leading diseases
• Willingness to ask for help
• Unique ways to reach out
Here are two resources to help you:
• A resource document prepared by Bohse & Associates with suggestions on websites, books and articles
• A Diversity Calendar with religious and ethnic observances published by The American Conference on Diversity.
Bohse in the News
Pat was recently featured in the Asbury Park Press. Read it here.